Penetrating damp is essentially an issue with water being unable to escape and is usually caused by one of two scenarios; either a problem with the building/plumbing issues or wind driven rain, hence the alternative name of ‘rain penetration’. However, as with many damp problems is can be difficult to identify and may also be mistaken for other types of damp, rising damp in particular. So here are a few of the telltale signs you may have an issue with penetrating damp:
- Plaster and paint damage - the appearance of blistering and stains.
- Rot and decay on skirting boards and woodwork.
- A mouldy damp smell and possible appearance of mold on internal walls.
- Excessive moss growth on external walls.
- Damage to bricks and mortar.
- Blotchy patches on internal walls.
So when looking at options on how to repair the penetrating damp the first step is to diagnose where the problem is coming from. There are a few areas you as a homeowner can check to identify the route cause.
- Check downpipes, guttering, flashing, rendering and window frames for blockages and obstructions.
- If you have a localised internal damp patch check the external wall for damaged or cracked bricks and mortar.
- Inspect your household appliances such as dishwashers/washing machines and plumbing regularly for possible leaks or faults.
- Look carefully around your window frames as damp patches could indicate a gap which will need to be sealed.
- If your ceiling gets damp patches after a heaving rainfall this could indicate missing or damaged roof tiles.
Any damage to the brickwork or building can usually be easily repaired by a reputable builder but for long term protection you will need to speak to a damp proofing professional. One option may be ‘wall tanking’. This is a generic building term for coating or lining walls to seal them against water. Tanking materials, such as liquids or membranes, are applied to either the external or internal walls of the building.
Penetrating damp can be a complex problem, you may need a professional survey completed and building regulation may also apply so if you are concerned about a penetrating damp problem and want to speak to an expert contact us at JRM Cellar Conversions
For Damp Proofing Services
Call us today, to book a FREE consultation on 01274 673 988
We cover all of West Yorkshire including
- Todmorden and more ....